Kitchen Flashback

It's that time of year when I can clean out some books on my shelves to donate to the local library book sale.  It's not so hard to get rid of books I don't like, but those are few and far between.  Usually, it's hard for me to send books away.  I can always think of an excuse to keep it.

I plan to read it next year.
I "should" read this book.
Everyone says this is a great read.
The excuse list goes on and on.

So instead of searching through my paperbacks, I decided to attack my cookbook collection.  I use some books regularly but there's a group that's been sitting on a closet shelf for years, virtually forgotten.  Definitely unused.  It's time for us to part ways.

As I culled the shelves I came across a magazine-like cookbook.  I remember using it with my mother.


This was printed in 1965.  The recipes had been tested and made on a show called, "Cooking Fun" that had been produced by WTTW, one of the PBS stations in Chicago.  I didn't realize, until I read the introduction, that the young cooks on the show attended schools for the deaf and hearing-impaired, because those were the children the program had been especially trying to reach.

Here's a page from the book.



This is most definitely NOT going to the library book sale.  It's too full of memories.


Comments