Paris in Black and White

I'm slowly but surely making my way through my photo archives.  Is it fair to call them "archives"? These pictures aren't historical in the global sense by any means, but they do represent a portion of my personal history.  So I guess I'll call them my personal archives for clarity.

At any rate, I'm enjoying the process, tedious though it sometimes is.  I'd forgotten some of my black and white photos and the rediscovery is fun.  (Here's where you discover that I'm not as organized as I should be.  I should have been sorting/indexing my images into categories such as "black and white", "Paris", and "churches" along the way.  But alas, the ease of taking thousands of digital photos in the last seven years translated into a lax organizational spirit.  That's getting rectified  now, too.)

Here are a few "new" pictures from my 2013 trip to France with my daughters that began in Paris.

The seats on the ferris wheel by the Tulieres Gardens weren't illuminated,
but they sure look electric in black and white.


Okay, this isn't technically Paris.  It's Versailles.  Still, I loved watching this gentleman
in tri-cornered hat, ruffled neck tie and knee socks walk around the room
playing chess against multiple players simultaneously.


It was fun to turn a corner and find contemporary art in the midst
of centuries old buildings


It's hard to believe this view isn't there any more.

When an image triggers a dormant memory, I've been sending it off to my family.   It's been a nice way to talk about something besides our limited quarantine news.  Really, how much can I do in my house every day during self-isolation that's interesting and/or differs from the day before?  Someone might think it's a sad or wistful process (well, maybe thinking about the destruction of Notre Dame is sad), but I'm enjoying the opportunity -- and time -- to reflect on happy memories.


Comments