Slight Change in Plans

I'm taking a break from my art quilting to make a baby quilt for my nephew.  Oddly enough, it took me an unexpectedly long time to figure out what I wanted to do.  I had stacks of traditional quilting books strewn about the house that I flipped through for weeks.  Nothing piqued my interest.

A few weeks ago, a quick image popped up on my screen.  I don't know where it came from, but it gave me an idea.

I'm making a traditional half square star, but constructing it of colorful half square triangles.

I'd forgotten how long it takes to wash and iron fabrics.  And to cut three inch squares.



I'm chain piecing, but can only sew eight pairs together.  Any more than that and they pull too much for me.

I'm a slow worker, partly because I keep pulling out the same two fabrics out of the pile to pair, even with my eyes closed.  Then I mull over which two fabrics should go together.  Okay, maybe it's my fault.  The fun of putting unexpected colors together is slowing me down.

But so is cutting.


I cut the fabric into 3" squares because I'm not that precise a piecer and need to trim away excess to get to a perfect 2 1/2 inch square.  That a lot of mini-edges.  But it makes me feel better to have a little margin for error.

I've finally finished piecing, ironing, and trimming all my squares.  I've laid out the center of the star and I think it's so much fun.


It looks so lively!  I can't decide if I should piece this all together first or lay out the rest of the triangles.  I'm leaning towards piecing this so that a gust of wind doesn't take it all down.  Or, more likely, that I don't brush up against the wall and knock it all down myself.   Still, it's a lot of fun arranging all the squares.

This is the kind of tough decision we all wish we had, right?



Comments

Norma Schlager said…
Very pretty and the colors just pop. I'm sure the baby recipient (and Mom) will love it.