Outrageous Ornament at the Katonah Museum of Art

I'm very excited about the upcoming KMA exhibit, Outrageous Ornament: Extreme Jewelry in the 21st Century.
Robert Baines, Yellow Giraffe, ca. 2012
Sterling silver, powder coat, electroplate, paint

I'm the docent trainer once again, so I've had the privilege of getting sneak peeks at the checklist and working with Jane Adlin, the curator and former Associate Curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Modern and Contemporary Art Department.  As usual, I've fallen down the rabbit hole, amassing more research than I can use.  This topic is fascinating because, until now, I hadn't considered jewelry an art form like painting.  But it most certainly is.  This is art  that can operate at a variety of scales and has the added intimacy of including the body (actually or implied).

This is art that demands to be considered, just like any other fine art, for its ideas, inventions and content.  Wearability, the use of precious metals, and adherence to traditional expectations are not required.

I hope you'll be able to come to the exhibit and see for yourself what I'm talking about.   Outrageous Ornament opens October 21st  and will run through January 27th.


Comments