Breathing Room

The pace has slowed.  Things are settling.  I have room to breathe and remember to be thankful.

Burnt redwoods by our home
The Soberanes Fire, started by an illegal campfire in a CA state park, threatened our family sanctuary.  Our home was literally at the front lines, surrounded by firefighters and flames.  We were under mandatory evacuation orders; however, people I don't know were protecting my home.  The magnitude of their commitment to keep others safe is staggering and humbling.

My mom and close girlfriend hanging together during a night out.

A few weeks later, their hard work meant we could all still gather together with family and friends.  It was an extra special time.

My eldest daughter has safely moved to Chicago.  I'm thankful she was able to get a job right out of college. Regrettably, she fell just a week after moving and has been in a boot for the last six weeks.  The good news: though she fractured her ankle and tore everything on the right side of her foot, she'll heal without surgery.  It will still be a 3.5-4 month recovery, but that's so much better than starting again, back at square one, with surgery.


Alexander McQueen, 2014/15 Ensemble



"Rhythm Pleats", Miyake Design Studio
My work schedule has eased up a bit and I now have time to catch up on art.  The images above are from the amazing Manus x Machina exhibition at The Met.  Sigh.  Loveliness, innovation, inspiration abound.

I'm enjoying the simple pleasures of playing with my dogs.  They've gone from this 


to this.



We took a trip to Notre Dame for a game. Yes, I know the Irish have played poorly, but the time spent together as a family was priceless.




We took time in Chicago visiting with our eldest and stopping by my alma mater for a trip down memory lane.  


All in all, these last two months have offered ample time to pause, reflect, be thankful, and enjoy.


Comments