One Down, Fifty-one to Go

It was a mite bit busy around here at the start of the new year -- guests, spouse and child with the stomach flu, the start of school -- but luckily, I did manage to sneak in some art. First,I finished embroidering around the circles on my funky circles piece, aptly named Circles I. I've titled it #1 because I already have the makings of a second piece about circles on my design wall. I finished it with my first pillow case finish, thanks to a great tutorial on Melody Johnson's blog; she calls it the "Escape Hatch Finish".


Today, I sewed around the edges of my first journal quilt for 2009. I'm intrigued with collage, but I haven't gotten a good comfort level with some of the tools of collage, like gel medium. If you've been reading my blog, you know that I haven't had much luck with it; I clearly need some practice. So, I started with the flower picture I posted at the start of the new year and fiddled with it a bit in PhotoShop (another thing I really need to practice!). Next, I printed the photo onto Extravorganza. It was a murky altered picture to begin with and it looked even more muted on the organza. Since I wanted it to be easier to see, I used gel medium to adhere the organza onto a piece of very light green fabric. It wasn't enough, so I colored it with pencils. Once it was dry -- but now with the texture of a plastic table cloth -- I used invisible thread to sew the flower onto second piece of fabric that I had dabbed with paint and covered with cheesecloth. French knots with sashico thread are the flower centers and help hold the whole thing together. The finished piece is 10 x 12; that made my experimentation a bit easier to manage.


What did I learn?
1) You have to wait to apply gel medium until the ink on your fabric or paper has dried. I did wait this time and didn't get the smudges I've gotten in the past.
2) You can't use gel medium if you want to keep the softness of the fabric. I know it seems self-evident, but I was really surprised at how plastic-y the organza felt after a thin layer of gel medium was under it and on top of it.
3) Gel medium does a good job of securing the edges of organza. I had a border around the flower when I first used the gel medium. Everything stayed stuck together, even after I trimmed off the edges.

I'm more encouraged this time around, so I think I'm going to continue to play gel medium. Maybe next week... Oh, and sorry about the size of the pictures. I thought I resized them, but I guess I didn't do it correctly. I'll work on that, too!

Comments

my croft said…
Vivien, there is also liquid matte medium -- which is like a very runny version of Elmer's white glue, but archival and all that good stuff. It's still plasticky but not quite so much as the gel medium. You might like it for things that need a lighter, but still secure, touch.
Melanie
pretty! and i am looking forward to the next circles piece too...