Life Intervenes

Sorry there hasn't been any art here lately. I had the best of intentions to complete my "Houston" journal quilt and create two 12 x 12 pieces, one for the SAQA auction and one for the Breaking Traditions exhibit supporting Virginia Spiegel's FiberArt for a Cause. Alas, it didn't happen. Just prior to attending Rayna's class last week, my youngest suffered first and second degree burns on her leg, just by brushing up against the exhaust pipe of the car. Warn everyone you know about this! A burn can happen in an instant. On Friday, we got a call from Wyoming that our oldest daughter had torn a tendon in her foot. Let me say this: it's tough to be many miles away from your injured child.

As you can imagine, I didn't get any small journals done last week or this. But, in honor of the journal quilt project jurying process that's going on right now in Houston, I thought I'd post pictures of a few of my 2006 journal quilts. My personal challenge in these pieces was to somehow incorporate photos in my work. The first is based on a photo of my children in a lake in Maine; the second is 3D with a photo postcard and some "seaweed"; the third is a re-creation of our Lab with her frisbee -- she died the month I made the piece; and the last was created using a photo I took of a sunflower with some added embellishments.






I'm going to have limited opportunity to post in the next two weeks, so let me say it now: enjoy the rest of your summer!

Comments

Linda Cline said…
Your journal quilts are beautiful. Hope your daughters get better soon.