Twofer

I didn't post last week or earlier this week because I was having a wonderful time with my 14 year old daughter. She and I were alone all day long as the two younger children went to day camp. We did lots of fun things: went into New York City to shop at Macy's (and bounce on the pretty beds); went out to lunch and the movies; got our nails done ... you get the idea. It was truly special, especially since she just left for camp on Wednesday. She'll be in Wyoming for four weeks, working with the Park Service, taking multi-day backpack and pack trips into the wilderness around Grand Teton National Park, and performing in weekend rodeos. I'm so proud of her.

Now I'm catching up on things. First, here's my journal quilt from last week; I was in a slash and resew mood. I took scraps from earlier journals and combined, cut, and reconfigured them into a new piece. I added a bit of hand stitching, too. It's funky, but I still think it works; I never would have guessed that disparate scraps could look good together. I must admit that I like doing these sorts of "recombined" pieces. I'd love your opinions here -- do you think I have it right side up? I can't decide.


My journal this week is in response to my daughter's departure. It's called "Hugs and Kisses", represented here by X's and O's. I painted over masking tape X's that I had put onto a scrap of Mickey Lawler SkyeDye fabric. Then I stamped the O's using the end of a broken plastic children's toy. I handstitched around the circles for accent. Ultimately, this is a happy piece; I miss my daughter, but I know she's having a fabulous time.

Comments

Julie Bagamary said…
I just spent the morning dying fabric and stamping it etc. It's fun to see what can be made of it.